Qatar Players Association held its first General Assembly on Monday 19 December 2016 at Salwa Ballroom at Sheraton Doha. The General Assembly begun with a welcome message from the President Mr. Salman A. Al-Ansari after which he announced that the quorum is met and the commenced of the General Assembly.
Then, the President report has been presented focusing on QPA’s activities and the most important achievement during the past year, which are:
- Entering into a memorandum of understanding with Qatar Football Association and Qatar Stars League through which QPA has been granted an equal representation in the committees relevant to the players.
- The restructuring of the player’s performance appraisal to be built on four pillars (technical, behavioral, social and educational) to achieve a balance between the technical evaluation and the other activities to minimize the negative financial impact on the players.
- QPA was successful in pulling together the largest collective settlement after convincing the Qatar Football Association and Ministry of Culture & Sports to finance the player’s outstanding payments.
- Creating the Players Rewards Fund to secure the players future. The system is based contributions paid by the players, which is paid back once the player’s career is ended plus an award for each year of his service. In addition, the detailed system has been detailed including the benefits provided to the players.
Once the President report is concluded, the General Assembly has elected a new Board of Directors, since the current board is founding board, as follows:
- Mr. Salman A. Al-Ansari.
- Mr. Abdulrahman M. Al-Kuwari.
- Mr. Ibrahim A. Ghamin.
- Mr. Wesam R. Ode.
- Mr. Meshaal M. Abdulla.
- Mr. Bilal M. Bilal.
- Mr. Abdulaziz A. Al-Sulaiti.
And the new Board of Directors elected Mr. Salman A. Al-Ansari as President and Mr. Abdulrhman M. Al-Kuwari as Vice President.
In addition, the General Assembly has approved the amendment of QPA’s articles of association as per FIFPro’s comments, and it authorized the new board to appoint an external auditor and to take the legal procedures to enforce these decisions.
At the end, the Board of Directors addressed all questions and queries by the General Assembly members after which the President concluded the meeting by thanking the attendees.